Jason Atherton is an English Chef and has been associated with the respected Gordon Ramsay for a number of years. He served as the head of Ramsay’s restaurant Maze until 2010. He is now working on setting up his own restaurant Pollen Street Social to be located in Mayfair. The new establishment is scheduled to open in 2011.
Atherton has tried to innovate by giving age old recipes a modern twist. He believes in keeping one foot in the 21st century with the other one planted firmly in the traditional roots and uses the quote often while describing his style of cuisine.
He has also done a number of television shows and written about his culinary experiences. The chef gained international acclaim as a celebrity chef during his six year stint at the Maze.
Professional Life of Chef Jason Atherton
The chef ran away from home at the age of 16 and got himself a training at Boston College, Lincolnshire. His first work experience was as a commis chef at the Skegness’ County hotel. He worked at various reputed restaurants and hotels in London after that and became the head chef at Mash & Air in Manchester ultimately.
Jason Atherton went to Spain and became the very first British chef to complete a stage at the illustrious 3 Michelin star establishment, El Bulli.
He helped in the opening and operation of Maze at the Marriott Grosvenor Square hotel in 2005. The restaurant received various awards as Atherton started experimenting with Asian touches in contemporary French food.
Atherton’s 60 seater restaurant with private dining areas is expected to begin operating from April 2011.
Achievements of Chef Jason Atherton
- Nominated as the “Best Young Chef” in Britain by Sunday Times.
- Received “Acorn Award”, from Caterer and Hotelkeeper for being one of the top 30 individuals destined to be the future of the food industry.
- ‘Young Guns Food Award’ from The Daily Express
- Jason Atherton received the ‘Best Chef of the Middle East’ award from Time Out Magazine, Dubai
- Chef of the Year, 2006 from The Evening Standard
- ‘Man of the Year’, 2006, awarded by Arena Magazine
- Named as ‘London’s Outstanding Chef’ by The Evening Standard
Shows And Events of Chef Atherton
- BBC One's Saturday Kitchen- Featured as a guest regularly
- BBC Two show ‘Great British Menu’- Participated in the show and won the starter and main course awards on the strength of public votes.
Cookbooks By Atherton
- Maze: The Cookbook- A compilation of several popular recipes from the Maze restaurant.
- Gourmet Food for a Fiver- Includes recipes for creating gourmet meals on a tight budget.
Pollen Street Social, the restaurant by Jason Atherton will feature London’s first ever dessert bar.