Italian Potato, known as patata in Italian, is a vegetable with white root having red or brown colored skin. It is commonly used as an ingredient in various recipes of delightful dishes which mainly includes salads. There are a number of Italian potato recipes which are quite popular in Italy like potato wedges, potato salad, roasted potatoes etc.
Uses of Italian Potatoes
Potatoes are widely used in Italy in several recipes. A few culinary uses of patata in Italy are listed here:
- It is used to prepare various kinds of salads in Italy.
- The patata is also used in soups.
- Roasted and baked versions of Italian potato are also popular.
- The patata can also be used to make wedges.
A Few Popular Italian Potato Recipes
Among numerous Italian recipes which make use of potato as an essential ingredient, here are a few popular ones:
- Potato salad- potatoes are boiled in salted water until cooked, allowed to cool, and then chopped into small pieces. Salad dressing is prepared by mixing together garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and parsley. The chopped potatoes are added to this dressing and tossed, so that they are coated evenly.
- Potato wedges- potatoes are cooked, sliced in wedges, and placed in a greased shallow dish. Sautéed onions and chopped potatoes are placed over the potatoes and coated with a mix of tomato paste and vegetable stock, followed by bell peppers, mushrooms, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and cheese. The Italian potato wedges are then baked for some time in an oven and served hot.
- Low fat and creamy potato soup- This is one of the popular Italian potato recipes, which suggests combining together water, broth, potatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian sausage (turkey or pork sausage) in a large pot and cooking on medium flame, until potatoes get tender. More of water could be added to attain the desired consistency, and the soup is served hot after adding evaporated milk.
- Chili roasted Italian potatoes- this dish is prepared by combining together water, olive oil, lemon juice, chili paste, salt, red pepper, cumin, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce in a roasting pan, and adding potatoes, bell pepper, garlic, and onions to this mix. The pan is placed in oven for around half an hour, until potatoes get tender. This roasted Italian potato dish is served hot.