Grilled vegetable is a dish which is prepared by cooking the vegetable in a grilling equipment like griddle or grill pan. The process of preparing the vegetables through the grilling method helps the dish in attaining a crispy feel. The vegetable cooked through grilling process retains the nutrients of its constituent elements, and is rendered to be quite flavorful. The common methods of cooking such as boiling or frying may result in a compromise with flavors or nutrient value respectively. Therefore, grilling method is considered to be the preferred one over boiling or frying methods. The vegetables can be grilled either in dried form or in marinated form. Marinating the vegetables prior to grilling would help in improving the flavor of the dish. A few popular marinades for grilled vegetables consist of spicy orange and cilantro marinade, brown sugar and bourbon marinade, lemon and garlic marinade, and maple and wasabi marinade.
Preparation Overview of Grilled Vegetables
All the vegetables are not suitable for grilling. A few popular vegetables which can be prepared through grilling procedure consist of asparagus, bell peppers, chili peppers, corn on the cob, eggplant, mushroom, onion, tomato, zucchini, and potato. The vegetables are first hydrated to prevent dehydration while grilling. They are then wiped dry and marinated if required. Otherwise, the dried vegetables are grilled. Care should be taken not to burn the vegetable during the grilling process.
The common method of preparing grilled vegetable involves brushing the vegetables with olive oil, sprinkling them with pepper and salt, and then grilling them on already prepared barbeque or grill pan until lightly charred throughout. The time taken for the grilling process may vary from one vegetable to the other.
Marinades for Grilled Vegetables
A few popular marinades for grilled vegetables have been discussed as under:
- Spicy orange & cilantro marinade- it is a mix of olive oil, orange juice, orange marmalade, fresh cilantro, and red pepper flakes.
- Asian marinade- it is a combination of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and minced ginger.
- Brown sugar and bourbon marinade- brown sugar, bourbon, cayenne pepper, and soy sauce are combined together to prepare this marinade for grilled vegetable dish.
- Maple and wasabi based marinade- it is a blend of maple syrup, olive oil, and wasabi (Japanese horseradish).
- Lemon and garlic marinade- olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic, salt, and pepper are combined together to prepare lemon and garlic based marinade for grilled vegetables.
Serving Grilled Vegetables
- Grilled vegetables are commonly served with seasoned gravies.
- Grilled vegetable is a good accompaniment to rice or pasta.