Grilled chicken salad is a variation of the American chicken salad, prepared with thin strips of grilled chicken along with a number of other ingredients. Salad greens, tomatoes, and boiled eggs are the commonest combinations which consist of a binder in the form of mayonnaise or cheese usually. The proper method of serving the chicken salad is on a bed of lettuce or atop an avocado.
The grilled salad is considered to be an ideal accompaniment to barbeque foods and may even be served as a side dish during lunch or brunch. The salad is also regularly used as a sandwich filling. It has numerous variations and may be served with blue cheese dressing or a French dressing instead of mayonnaise. A variety of mustards also go into the salad item which can be prepared by utilizing leftover chicken pieces, or the canned variety instead of fresh poultry.
The salad is also popular in Europe and Asia where the ingredients may include couscous, pastas, rice, or noodles. The dressings also vary considerably from olive oil to a sprinkling of sesame seeds while the salad is occasionally served without any frills.
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe Overview
The salad has no authentic recipe and can be prepared by assembling a number of ingredients which includes preparing Waldorf or Caesar salad with strips of grilled chicken.
The simplest form of the grilled chicken salad requires skinless and boneless chicken pieces to be grilled and served after cutting them into long strips. Salad greens and sliced tomatoes, together with Cheddar cheese, avocados, cranberries and onions, are the usual ingredients used. A French or Italian dressing is usually added to the salad which is frequently replaced by the Thousand Island dressing as well.
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe Variations
The most popular variations of the salad include:-
Caribbean Grilled Chicken Salad- This can be served as a side dish consisting of grilled chicken breasts served on a bed of lettuce together with black beans, mango pieces and jicama juliennes. The dressing is made with red vinegar, lime juice and honey blended together.
Grilled Chinese Chicken Salad- This entree dish, served in Chinese restaurants consists of grilled chicken breast strips and baby lettuce leaves along with wontons, rice sticks, almonds, and scallions. It is usually drizzled with a ginger-soy vinaigrette dressing before serving.
- Greek Chicken Salad- This is a traditional Greek salad consisting of chopped romaine leaves, bell peppers, tomatoes; cucumbers mixed with Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese apart from the grilled chicken pieces.
Serving Suggestions For Grilled Chicken Salad
- The salad is often stuffed into pita breads or used as sandwich fillings.
- It is usually served together with foods rich in carbohydrates, preferably grilled breads with tomato, aubergine and cheese slices.
- French fries and baked potatoes or yam cakes are also considered to be ideal accompaniments to the salad.
- Spaghetti and other pasta dishes served along with the dish including dried tomatoes and basil.
- Butter honey toast or pizza wedges are also served with the salad occasionally.
Assembling a grilled chicken salad is a part of the cooking classes curriculum for kids in America.