Fruit bread, a spongy sweet tasting colorful fruity bread, is an enhancement of the basic bread with a variety of fruits like cherry, raisins, tutti fruity, orange rinds, apricots etc. A breakfast or snack time treat for children, the fruit bread is best partnered with fruit jam and strawberry sauce.
Ingredients and Preparation
All purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and an assortment of fruits and nuts are kneaded into soft dough that is baked in the oven.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 Slice (35 g)
Approximate values per serving (Calories - 132 cal, Fat – 4.2 g, Carbohydrates – 22.4 g, Protein – 1.8 g, Saturated fat – 0.8 g, Cholesterol –18 mg, Sodium –111 mg, Potassium – 51 mg, Sugars – 13.6 g, Dietary fiber – 0.5 g)
Nutritional Benefits of Fruit Bread
1. Very low in Saturated fats
2. High in iron, calcium and potassium
3. Contains vitamin C and dietary fiber
4. Low in cholesterol
1. Fruit bread contains iron, calcium and potassium. Iron helps in the formation of hemoglobin which in turn aids in transport of oxygen in body. Calcium is required for the healthy bones and teeth. Potassium is good for people suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure)
2. Vitamin C functions as an antioxidant, helps maintaining healthy gums and prevents the scurvy (a disease).
3. It contains Dietary fiber which is required for better health and digestion
Disadvantage: Fruit Bread is - i) High in Sodium, and ii) High in sugars
1. The fruit bread is high in sodium hence can create risk for the people already suffering from hypertension.
2. It is high in sugars hence diabetic people should avoid it.