French Food at Home is one of the popular cooking shows on Food Network. The show is hosted by Laura Calder and is aired across Canada as well as on other worldwide channels. As the name suggests the show is all about making French cooking simple and accessible to all. Atleast 78 episodes of the show have been aired and the show still continues to be popular in its 3rd season.
French Food at Home is an original Canadian series of the Food Network. The show aims to bring popular recipes of the French cuisine to one and all across the world. It is informative and entertaining. The focus is to feature traditional recipes which are easy to make and are loved worldwide.
The show is conceptualized, written and hosted by Laura Calder. Laura is a well known chef and has been a judge on various reality series such as Top Chef Canada, Iron Chef America and Recipe to Riches. She has also authored French cook books – French Taste: Elegant Everyday Eating, The Fine Art of Feeding Friends and French Food at Home, on which the show has been made. Laura has been credited with many awards for her notable contribution to French cuisine.
The show, like other cooking shows, has been shot in the studio kitchen,which is in Canada. However, it does show scenes of France, like a visit to the local market, or everyday French food, all of which have been shot in France. Laura, while cooking the French recipes, chips in valuable information related to French lifestyle, culture and also useful cooking tips. The show usually plays French music in the background.
- Truckstop French was the last episode of Season 2 and featured Laura’s favourite recipes of French style travellers food such as – Pork Chops, Cauliflower Gratin, Quiche Lorraine, French Onion Soup and Baguette Sandwiches.
- Reunion Food was another memorable episode of the Season 2 of the show, which featured Laura’s favourite French food which she cooked on reunion with her brother and his wife. The interesting recipes were – Lemon Asparagus Risotto, Aperitif Platter, Slow Provencal Lamb and Strawberry Galette.
- The Perfect Potato was yet another interesting episode telecast in Season 1 of the show. The show featured new and wonderful recipes made from potatoes, highlighting the versatility of the vegetable. The recipes included Warm Potato Salad, Rustic Country Potato Torte, Creamy Potato Gratin and Frites.
- French Food at Home has been awarded the James Beard Foundation Award, New York for the year 2010, in the category – Television Show, In Studio or Fixed Location.
- Hostess of French Food at Home, Laura Calder, was based in France for a decade before relocating to Toronto, Canada.
- Laura Calder has been awarded the “Ordre National du Merite Agricole” by the French government.
- The first episode of the show in Season 1 was titled Apero and constituted favourite appetizers and starters.