Everyday food, as clear by its name, signifies the combination of dishes prepared in regular household meals. Everyday food is relatively different from gourmet and holiday food. It usually comprises of some of the typical ingredients and foodstuffs that are easily available at home. Everyday recipes are not elaborately prepared but generally come under the category of quick and easy recipes. Almost all types of vegetables, lentils, beans and breads are included by everyday recipes. Spices and fat used in everyday dishes is normally very less. Health factor is also kept in mind while preparing everyday dishes as daily meal should be full of nutrition and contain fewer calories. Everyday food mainly consists of the dishes such as vegetable soup, spicy potato, basil chicken and vegetable pulao.
Everyday food is normally homemade and not available at commercial eateries. With the emerging trend of fast foods among youngsters, everyday recipes are loosing their importance. For people of all age groups, everyday food is highly nourishing as it contains all essential nutrients and the goodness of homemade food.
History of Everyday Recipes
The history of everyday food is as old as the history of food. Since ancient times when people have started including vegetables and fruits in their daily diet, the trend of preparing everyday recipes had started. Early men use to eat raw vegetables and fruits, but with the introduction of fire they learnt how to cook vegetables and to make everyday dishes out of them. Modern everyday food is not different from the classic everyday recipes. Since ages, everyday dishes are served with simplicity and prepared with healthy ingredients. Balanced diet is the main concept behind everyday food that should be followed in every household.
Popular Everyday Recipes from Different Cuisines
Everyday food symbolizes the food culture of different cuisines. Some such significant everyday dishes are as follows:
- American – American everyday recipes are simple and hassle free. A typical everyday meal in American cuisine comprises of breakfast dishes such as milk shake, cheese sandwich and omelet. Lunch and dinner recipes include hamburger, baked beans with any kind of vegetable or meat soup. Desserts may also include sumptuous American everyday food.
- European – European food culture is an amalgamation of various cuisines. Every cuisine has its own staple foods that are commonly included in its everyday recipes. For example, pasta and cheese are fondly eaten as everyday food in Italian cuisine. Pies and pastries are regularly served in English cuisine whereas French bread is an everyday food in French cuisine.
- Indian – Indian cuisine is famous for making some of the healthiest everyday recipes. Indian everyday food mainly includes a balanced diet comprising of rice, breads, lentils, vegetables, meats as well as salads and other accompaniments. Indian everyday dishes are lighter and include fresh ingredients. Some of the popular Indian everyday recipes are peas pulao, dal and rice, potato curry and idli.
- Middle Eastern – The typical Middle Eastern food consists of meat and vegetable dishes. Starting from breakfast to dinner, everyday recipes are generally full of spices and fat. Pita bread and lamb are some of the regularly used everyday foods. Fava beans and potato salad are the typical everyday dishes served in Middle Eastern cuisine. Hummus is a chickpea sauce that is served as an accompaniment with grilled chicken and other everyday dishes.
- Chinese – Chinese recipes are undoubtedly easy and quick but in everyday meals Chinese people love to eat their staple foods including noodles and rice. Chicken and fish dishes are served along with staples. Stir-fried vegetables and soup also form the Chinese everyday food menu.
Everyday Food Trivia
Rice is the most popular foodstuff that is used to make everyday recipes in almost all cuisines.