Engine 2 Diet is a unique dietary regimen developed by fire-fighter turned author, Rip Esselstyn, in order to benefit individuals who need to (a) undergo weight loss (b) reduce cholesterol (c) lower the risk of cardiovascular and other lifestyle-related diseases like diabetes and cancer (d) experience higher fitness levels. The highlight of this dietary regimen is the fact that it follows a safe, natural plant-based approach and the aforesaid benefits can be achieved in as less as only 4 weeks.
Rip Esselstyn, an accomplished triathlete in his earlier days, turned into a professional fire-fighter later on in life, and one of life’s qualities he imbibed was the presence of mind to be able to handle any sort of emergency. When he was informed that a colleague, an Engine 2 fire-fighter like himself in Austin, Texas, had developed serious health problems with a high cholesterol level of 344, he along with his entire Engine 2 fire-fighter fraternity, launched a mission to help save the life of their friend. Right through his years as an athlete, Rip was a firm believer of the plant-based diet that his father, Dr Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Chief Surgeon, Cleveland Clinic promoted. He discovered through years of scientific research that a plant-centric, low fat diet could help reverse cardiovascular disease as well as Diabetes.
Laws governing the Engine 2 Diet
Foods to be included-
- An entirely plant based approach is followed in this diet
- Diet consists of wholesome foods including whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds
- Green leafy vegetables and farm-fresh raw vegetables in substantial amounts formed a good part of the Engine 2 Diet
- Even proteins obtained from plant sources, like soy beans and also other soy products like tofu are encouraged.
Foods to be avoided-
- Dairy products of all kinds are to be totally eliminated as part of the Engine 2 Diet. Milk, cheese, ice-cream, yoghurt, sour-cream and butter to be excluded.
- Omission of processed and refined food such as polished rice, flour, white pastas, white breads.
- High-calorie processed desserts like cakes, pastries, cookies, carbonated beverages, etc. are all to be avoided.
- Along with the above, all kinds of non-vegetarian foods to be stopped be it meat, chicken, fish or eggs. Converting typical non-vegetarian dishes using healthier vegetarian alternatives is encouraged.
- Strict control on oil usage with complete exclusion of all added/extracted oils including olive oil, canola oil, and salad dressings etc. is endorsed.
Benefits of Engine 2 Diet
By committing to the guidelines of the Engine 2 Diet, Rip successfully helped his teammates improve their overall health. Some of the achievements that may be expected from this diet include-
- Weight loss
- Dramatic improvements in cholesterol levels
- Improved cardiac performance
- Enhanced energy levels
- Heightened fitness levels
These changes will be noticed within 4 weeks of starting the Engine 2 Diet but with individual variations.
Rip Esselstyn led his team-mates to a healthy lifestyle empowering them with the benefits of a plant-based eating program. His book on the same, entitled ‘The Engine 2 Diet’ went on to become a New York Times Bestseller. Former US resident, Bill Clinton too recently took on the challenge of following a purely plant-based diet and gave all credit to Rip and his father Dr Esselstyn’s valuable research for this decision.