Divinity candy, also known as white divinity fudge or simply rolls, is a fluffy aerated Southern dessert confection with a crispy exterior.
First made in the 1900s, the divinity candy is a truly divine treat.
Ingredients and Preparation
Sugar, water, corn syrup and egg whites are the key ingredients of the divinity candy. A recipe basically resembling meringue, divinity candy emerges as a lot of fascinating variations when enhanced with nuts, vanilla, chocolate, coconut, or peppermint.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 11 g
Approximate values of nutrients per serving (Calories - 40 cal, Fat – 0 g, Carbohydrates – 10 g, Protein – 0 g, Saturated fat – 0 g, Cholesterol – 0 mg, Sugars – 9 g, Sodium – 4 mg)
Health Benefits of Divinity:
The confection has:
1. Zero saturated fats
2. Zero Cholesterol
3. Very low Sodium
Unhealthy facts associated with Divinity
1. Large amount of calories is derived from sugars.
2. The confection does not contain any protein.
People who are on dieting should avoid eating divinity candy.
Healthy variations of Divinity: Following healthy variations of divinity can be made -
1. Sugar free divinity with natural sweeteners – It can be a healthy option and can be prepared in various flavors such as mint flavor, fruity flavor etc. e.g. strawberry divinity and peppermint divinity.
2. Juice flavored divinity – It can be flavored and sweetened with natural juices like orange, apple, lemon etc.
3. Granola mix divinity – Granola is a healthy snack and contains dry fruits such as raisins and prunes.
4. Cherry Nut divinity - Cherry and chopped nuts like almond, walnut and cashewnut can be added to make the divinity candy more healthy.