The Daniel Fast Diet is a meal plan undertaken as part of the Daniel Fast. The Daniel Fast is a spiritual undertaking through which it is believed that both the body as well as soul derive immense benefits. The Daniel Fast Diet is equivalent to a detoxification process that enables the body to be cleansed off the effects of several days of uncontrolled or undisciplined eating. By the end of this diet, the efficiency of important organs like the liver and digestive system are increased manifold. Nutrient absorption is enhanced as a consequence and there is an improvement in energy levels with an overall feeling of wellness.
The story behind the Daniel Fast dates back to the time when Daniel and his three friends were held captive as slaves by King Nebuchadnezzar. They were condemned to have food from the Kings table, but Daniel revolted. Based on his religious followings, he rejected Babylonian food and prepared a list that had certain specific foods he and his friends were ready to accept. Daniel proved that this diet could maintain their health, keeping them as fit and strong as other slaves consuming regular food.
Features of Daniel Fast Diet
- The Daniels Fast finds mention in the Bible. It majorly involves eating only fruits, vegetables and drinking plenty of water.
- There is a list of forbidden foods that forms part of this diet. These include- meat, alcohol, dairy products, caffeine containing foods, processed foods and foods that have any kind of artificial flavours or additives. Inclusion of bread to this list is debated as it contains yeast.
- Daniels Fast initially lasted for 10 days. After proving the benefits of this diet, Daniel again repeated the same dietary regimen for 3 weeks. Therefore followers of this regimen also adhere to either 10 or 21 days of diet control.
Benefits of Daniel Fast Diet
It is clear that while some people undertake this fast for spiritual purposes, others wish to enjoy the health benefits resulting from following it. Some of the multiple benefits associated with it are-
- Improved blood pressure control
- Improved cholesterol control
- Improved blood sugar control
- Better concentration
- Better immune response
- Increased stamina
- Improved digestive health
- Clearer skin
- Better energy levels
- Weight loss
- Overall improvement in health and wellbeing
Since this is a very strict dietary regimen to follow, and hence should be undertaken only under medical supervision. People suffering from Diabetes, Ulcerative colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome or heart conditions may require modification of the original diet to make it more comfortable for them to follow.
These days several cookbooks offer assistance and guidance in preparing meal plans following the Daniel Fast Dietary guidelines.