Cottage pudding is an American dessert similar to a cake. It is a plain, moist cake topped with different sauces like vanilla sauce or butterscotch sauce. It has a cake-like flavor and soft, moist texture. The name can be misleading but the pudding does not contain any cottage cheese.
Ingredients and Preparation
The oldest recipe of cottage pudding was published in a magazine in New Zealand in 1883. The recipe just called for milk, eggs, baking powder and flour. It was flavored with delicate spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Another recipe was published in ‘Lewiston Evening Journal’in 1893.
Many modern variations have been developed over the years. Butter and other flavor enhancers are used.
All the ingredients are mixed following the same procedure as cake and poured in a bake tin. It is baked at 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes.
A vanilla or caramel flavored sauce is topped on the pudding. It is made of sugar, butter, flour, vanilla pods and milk. Sugar is caramelized and butter is added. It is cooked till thick.
· Cottage pudding is served hot or cold by placing a piece of cake on the plate and topping it with the vanilla sauce.
· Other fruit sauces can also be served as per individual preference.
· Chocolate sauce can also be topped on the pudding.
· Custard or crème anglaise can be served along with the pudding. Whipped cream can also be used to garnish the dessert.
Popular Variations and Similar Dishes
· A variation is made by layering cottage pudding on a bed of cooked fruits. It is similar to the dessert cobbler.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 piece with vanilla sauce
Calories – 120 cal, Fat – 2 g, Total carbohydrates – 20 g, Protein – 6 g
· Cottage pudding is low calorie and low fat. It is good for dieters and people suffering from obesity.
· Eggs and milk used are the main source of proteins.
· Eggs can be replaced with apple sauce or mashed bananas for people who are allergic to eggs.
· Milk can be substituted with soy milk.
· Whole wheat flour can be used instead of refined flour to add fiber to the pudding.
· Nuts and seeds like flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds can be used to increase the nutritive value as they add to antioxidants and minerals.