Colon cancer diet is followed by people suffering from cancer of the colon, which is the final part of one's digestive system, where water and salt are extracted from solids which are subsequently excreted. A typical diet for colon cancer includes a wide variety of natural high fiber foods, fruits and vegetables being the most beneficial.
Diet for Colon Cancer Patients: Foods to Consume
Foods to be consumed by colon cancer patients include foods that strengthen the immune system, as a poor immune system makes body cells more prone to attack by cancer. A diet rich in vitamins, minerals, enzymes, complex carbohydrates, and easy-to-digest proteins and fiber is recommended. Here are the specific foods that should be made a part of colon cancer diet-
- Fresh fruits
- Vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, winter squash and broccoli (these are known to contain compounds that have a cancer preventive effect)
- Whole grains
- Leguminous foods like lentils and beans
- Organic meats, chicken and non-fatty fish
- Good fats like olive oil and omega 3 oils
Diet for Colon Cancer Patients: Foods to Avoid
Foods rich in fats and sugar, unnatural foods with artificial flavorings and colorings, prepackaged food, etc. are not recommended for inclusion in a colon cancer diet. Here are some specific foods to be avoided-
- Processed oils and fats, such trans as well as hydrogenated fats. These can be found in foods like margarine, chips, baked products, etc.
- Sugar rich foods like sweets, desserts, etc.
- Processed meats, especially those containing nitrates and nitrites
Colon Cancer Diet Plan Suggestions
A colon cancer prevention and control diet plan should include many small, nutritious meals at shorter intervals. Fluids should be consumed after the meal, and not during it. The meal should be designed so as to counter nutritional deficiencies and building of immune system. Nutritional supplements should be taken in consultation with the doctor, as supplements such as those for vitamins C and E can decrease the effectiveness of chemotherapy on the body.
The following links can be visited for more information about how to control colon cancer with diet-