Colitis diet comprises foods specifically designed for those who suffer from colitis which is a term used for mentioning the colon inflammation. The causes of colitis are various and include infections, insufficient blood supply and autoimmune reactions. Diet plays a major role in reducing the symptoms of inflammation and thus helps in speedy recovery.
In the abdominal cavity of human body, lies colon which is divided into cecum, transverse, ascending colon, descending colon, sigmoid, rectum and anus. Cecum and ascending colon constitute the right part, whereas the transverse segment to sigmoid, make the left colon. When the food gets digested, it passes to the large intestine also known as colon. Here the food is pushed for the bowel movement. The outer colon layer compresses the food and inner layer called mucosa absorbs the liquid in order to make the feces solid. When the blood supply in the inner layer gets decreased it results in inflammation which is also termed as colitis.
Recommended Foods- Colitis Diet
There are many foods that provide comfort during colitis, when consumed regularly. Here is a list of such foods:
- Fish oil
- Juices (cabbage, aloe and carrot)
- Figs (dried or fresh)
- Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil
- Vegetables like spinach, squash, carrots, cabbage
- Sunflower seeds
Restrictions- Colitis Diet
It is very important to avoid eating foods that aggravate the pain and inflammation during colitis. Here are some of the food items that should not be consumed when suffering from colitis.
- Baked items (cakes, breads, cookies, pastries and pies)
- Vegetables (broccoli, onions, peppers, chives, dried peas)
- Milk, eggs and meat
- Caffeine and alcohol
Precautions to be followed- Colitis Diet
When suffering from colitis, special attention should be paid on diet. Here are some of the precautions that must be exercised while being on colitis diet:
- Consumption of Fluid-rich foods - The food should be rich in fluids and fiber as the diet goes waste if enough water is not retained in the food.
- Avoiding processed foods- Before buying any food item, label should be read carefully. Processed foods should be completely avoided during this time.
- Eating frequently- One must have 6-8 servings of food daily at regular intervals. Long food gaps should be avoided as they tend to make the situation worse.