Coconut bread pudding is a type of bread pudding popular in Asian countries. It is made with coconut milk and bread. It has a soft melded texture of coconut milk and bread. It is moist and has a pleasant flavor of coconut milk.
Ingredients and Preparation
Coconut milk, eggs and bread are the main ingredients for making coconut bread pudding. Coconut cream, coconut flakes and sugar are the other ingredients used. Nutmeg and mace are used to flavor the dessert.
Custard like base is made by whisking eggs, coconut milk, coconut cream and sugar. The flavoring ingredients are added and mixed thoroughly. Bread cubes along with the crust are lined in a baking pan. Coconut milk custard is poured and the dish is left to rest for about 20 minutes. Coconut flakes are topped on the pudding. The dessert is baked in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 25 minutes. The top of the pudding turns golden brown.
· Coconut bread pudding is served hot or chilled.
· It can be topped with dessert sauces like chocolate sauce or mango sauce.
· Pineapple coconut bread pudding is made by adding pineapple cubes to the coconut milk custard before baking.
· In South India, Fried bread is topped with a sweet coconut milk mixture and is served topped with nuts.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving – 1 piece
Calories – 280 g, Fat – 10 g, Protein – 5 g, Carbohydrates – 35 g, Cholesterol – 80 mg
· Coconut bread pudding is high in calories and fat. The fat in the pudding can be reduced by using less coconut cream.
· Light coconut milk or low fat coconut milk should be used to lower the fat content.
· Sugar should be replaced with non calorie sweeteners like sucralose.
· Brown or high fiber bread should be used to improve the fiber content of the dish.