Classic recipes refer to traditional recipes of a cuisine which are well-acclaimed for their rich culinary heritage and enjoyed even now. They are authentic to regions and vary with respect to ingredients and methods of preparation. Classic food can also refer to cuisines particular to groups of people, class of people such as royal families, etc. The ingredients used in the recipes are native to regions or timeless as they are still available. For instance classic cake recipes from New England. Classic dishes are timeless due to the flavor infused and the popularly used ingredients.
Classic recipes originated during the time when methods of cooking and preparing food were discovered. A simple classic food would be ideally traditional pickled vegetables. Salt is one of the oldest ingredients used in classic dishes. It was used as a preservative in the past mostly. Pickling is a classic process that makes use of salt to preserve food such as olives, bell peppers, etc. It was used by ancient civilizations including the Egyptian, Babylonian and Roman civilizations.
Popular Classic Food from Different Cuisines
- Jambalaya is one of the most authentic classic recipes of the French cuisine. It is made by combining rice and meat along with seasonings and herbs.
- Gumbo is a classic food from Mexico. It is a stew made with the combination of meats, vegetables, seasonings and cream.
- Classic three bean salad is one of the best classic dishes from the Fusion cuisine. It is highly nutritious as it is made from kidney beans, yellow wax beans and cut green beans.
- Oat bran muffin is an old classic muffin recipe from Europe.
- Dal and roti are classic recipes from India and are popular in most regions of North India.
- Modak is also a classic recipe from India where it is prepared as an offering to Lord Ganesh.
- Tofu and sushi are classic foods from Chinese and Japanese cuisines. They are also a part of classic recipes in other Far East Asian countries.
Preparation and Commercial Availability of Classic Recipes
Classic foods can be made at home and as well as be bought from outside. Exclusive restaurants catering to the respective cuisines prepare and serve exotic classic food dishes. Classic food can be a main dish, side dish or a snack. Classic snacks such as fritters can be bought from supermarkets. Classic food can also be made-to-order items. Specialized chefs and caterers undertake these orders and supply them over special occasions.
Classic Dishes: Trivia
- The exotic American Pie has its origins from Asia though it is popular in the region.
- The word ketchup originates from kecap, the Malayan word for condiment.
- Tapioca starch is used extensively in Chinese cooking as a sauce thickener in Chinese recipes
- Of all classic recipes, wine-making recipe is one of the oldest recipes in the world. Egyptians brewed wine around 5000 BC and there are samples of the wines even today.