Chocolate Tea is a special kind of combination tea prepared with chocolate and tea. It is usually the cocoa kernels that are used to impart a chocolate like taste although the use of carob pods from the Mediterranean region is not unheard of. Both chocolate and tea have their own share of medicinal benefits and the combination of the two is believed to be effective against a host of cardio vascular diseases.
The taste of chocolate and tea combination varies widely and the method of brewing might also be responsible for some of the diversities. It is customary to add a sweetening agent before consumption as the cocoa powder tends to be bitter which enhances the bitterness of black tea as well.
Black tea from Sri Lanka combined with white chocolate chips is yet another popular beverage especially when served with breakfast or as an after dinner dessert.
The tea can also be bought from health food stores across the globe as it is considered to be extremely nutritious.
Chocolate Tea Recipe: Commonly Used Ingredients and Preparation
The quickest way to brew the tea is to infuse black tea bags in hot water allowing them to steep for 5-7 minutes. Some hot scalding milk is usually added to lighten the brew with some chocolate syrup being added to the concoction and mixed well before serving. It is customary to sweeten the chocolate tea slightly or sprinkle some additional chocolate chips on top along with a dash of cream which presents a pleasant contrast.
Serving Suggestions for Maximizing the ChocolateTea Benefits
- Iced Tea with chocolate- Served cold over ice cubes with a generous amount of chilled milk and sprinkled with chocolate chips
- With Chai tea- chocolate tea infused with spiced tea bags, sweetened with condensed milk.
- Vanilla- A combination of vanilla tea and gourmet chocolate syrup.
- Mint- Mint or peppermint flavored tea mixed with chocolate,
- Orange flavored- Orange spiced tea bags infused in hot water and served after adding chocolate powder to it. It is often topped with whipped cream.
Common Chocolate Tea Benefits
- Both tea and chocolate are rich in antioxidants which are known to lower the risk of cancer.
- Considered to be an energy booster apart from being a comfort food.
- Chocolate tea in any form is considered to be good for the heart and the cardio vascular system in general.
- Regular consumption of the tea without adding sugar is likely to increase memory power and concentration.
- Green tea infused with chocolate is also a good for controlling body weight if not consumed with added sugar.
- Also known to control blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
A frozen concoction of matcha powder and white chocolate has been popularized as chocolate tea ice cream across the United States of America.