Cheese pesto is an Italian savory dish or sauce prepared by combining cheese with pesto sauce. Though most of the recipes suggest making pesto cheese in the form of sauce, however, a few variants suggest including lasagna pasta and sundried tomatoes to make it in the form of a dish. The variations are often explained in terms of distinct cheese type. Further, it is not necessary to use only one type of cheese; a combination of two or more cheeses can also be used. The pesto sauce that is used in almost all the recipes is a blend of garlic, basil, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Popular Pesto Cheese Recipes
A few popular cheese pesto dishes have been discussed below:
- Parmesan pesto- the recipe for this cheese based pesto involves the use of parmesan cheese, which is combined with basil, olive oil, nuts, and garlic to prepare the cheese sauce.
- Feta pesto- the cheese pesto recipe for this dish suggests blending together basil, olive oil, white wine, lime juice, pine nuts, minced garlic, and feta cheese. It is suggested to blend the mix for quite some time, as feta cheese takes relatively longer time than other cheese types to process completely.
- Melted pesto cheese dip- mozzarella cheese is baked in oven until it melts, and pesto sauce is dropped onto it. The dip is topped with grated parmesan cheese, and baked for a few minutes in oven, before serving it with crackers.
- 3 Cheese Pesto Vegetable Lasagna- this is a pasta based dish prepared with several vegetables like broccoli, carrots, zucchini etc, three different types of cheese, viz. mozzarella, ricotta, and parmigiano reggiano, and lasagna pasta. The baking pan is lined with besciamella sauce, and then layered with lasagna pasta shells, followed by a layer of thinly sliced vegetables. Thereafter, all the three cheeses are distributed evenly, and besciamella sauce (Italian sauce made with butter, flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg) is drizzled on top. Basil based pesto sauce is spread all over, followed by layer of pasta, vegetables, cheese, and sauces. Parmigiano reggiano cheese is spread on top, and the dish is baked in oven until top is bubbly.
- Goat cheese, pesto, and sun-dried tomato- the recipe for this dish suggests first taking a bowl with oil coated plastic wrap and placing one third of the mix of goat cheese, cream cheese, and seasonings into the bowl. Thereafter, pesto sauce is poured in, followed by layer of goat cheese mix. Pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes are sprinkled on top, followed by a layer of remaining goat cheese mix. The dish is refrigerated for around half an hour, and served after transferring it onto a platter. Olive oil is drizzled on top, and pine nuts are sprinkled before it is served.
The cheese pesto sauce is a perfect to accompaniment to several dishes like pastas, bread, and crackers.