Cabbage juice is extracted by placing the chopped green or red varieties of cabbage within the juicer. The juice is extremely nutritious and replete with health benefits as it contains a number of vitamins and minerals.
The juice works best when consumed in moderation as drinking it in excess results in certain undesirable side effects. The juice does not taste too good by itself hence it is often mixed with carrot and apple juices which enhance both the flavor as well as its taste.
Cabbages which consist of crisp leaves and firm heads are usually utilized to extract the juice. Juice from the limp and yellowing vegetables are not as beneficial as the nutritional values are substantially reduced.
Blending the leaves of white or green cabbage along with some distilled water and fermenting by keeping it covered in a hot corner of the room for a period of three days produces a cultured form of the juice that is anti-inflammatory in nature and contains the beneficial lactic acid.
The juice had been used as an effective home remedy for ulcerative colitis as well as other ulcers of the stomach since the ancient times.
History of Cabbage Juice
The Cabbage as well as the juice extracted from it was used as a medicine by the Greeks as well as the Romans. The Celts are credited with the introduction of cabbage in Europe while the Germans were known to make various medicines from all varieties of cabbages as well as the juices extracted from them.
Preparation Methods to Maximize Cabbage Juice Benefits
- Fruit & Vegetable Juice- A blend of kiwi, beetroots and head of the green cabbage sweetened with honey and served with a sprig of mint leaves is effective in relieving stomach pain.
- Cabbage & Pineapple Drink- A combination of a cup of shredded red cabbage and peeled pineapple chunks blended together contain anti oxidants which are capable of preventing cancer.
- Carrot – cabbage Delight-A nutritious juice made by blending carrots, shredded cabbages and a handful of almonds together it consists of a number of vitamins and beta carotene which are considered to be beneficial for the eyes as well as the general health.
Cabbage Juice Benefits
- The juice has been proved beneficial for thwarting the incidence of cancer particularly colon cancer. The risks of developing breast, ovarian, prostate, stomach and lung cancer are reduced as well.
- The presence of Vitamin C and Beta carotene, the precursor of Vitamin A in the juice helps in slowing down the ageing process.
- The juice is also beneficial for the eye as it slows down cataract formation.
- The high folic acid content in the juice helps in preventing birth defects particularly the spina bifida where the infant is born with a defective spine.
- It is very effective in preventing gastric ulcers, regular intake of the juice helps more than consuming the shredded vegetable.
- It is also considered to be beneficial for the heart as it reduces the risk of developing cardiac ailments or succumbing to stroke.
- The juice is low in calories and can promote weight loss.
Side Effects of Cabbage Juice
- Can give rise to a feeling of bloating which occurs due to the accumulation of intestinal gas.
- People suffering from goiters are advised not to consume cabbage juice.
- The juice is contra indicated for people on MAOI anti depressants.
Scientific studies have proved that red cabbage juice reduces the risks of developing Alzheimer’s disease, a trait not present in other cabbage varieties.
Further information about the health benefits of Red Cabbage can be found at leafy-greens.org