Bladder cancer diet is a special meal plan for those suffering from the cancer of bladder and undergoing treatment like chemotherapy or radiation. A specially formulated meal plan encouraging the consumption of fruits, vegetables and low-fat foods ensures that the patient is able to manage the treatment symptoms with ease. For instance, certain bladder cancer treatments often cause severe weight loss in patients and thus, a proper diet can help one in maintaining a healthy weight. This, in turn,will ensure a strengthening immune system. Generally, a high protein diet complete with foods high in good fats is considered ideal for bladder cancer patients. Besides these, foods rich in fiber are also recommended to be included in such a diet.
Foods to Eat and Avoid
- Fruit or vegetable blends and dairy products are generally prescribed as a part of this diet as these are nutrient-dense, high in protein and a good source of calories. Nutritional shakes are also prescribed as they replenish the body with necessary nutrients.
- Strengthening the immune system is one of the primary goals of a bladder cancer diet and thus, a Neutropenic diet is encouraged; i.e. a food regimen which includes no raw foods. This diet stresses more on processed or cooked fruits and vegetables so as to ensure that they are free of microorganisms, which, otherwise may be present in their raw forms and possibly get the patient further sick.
- Alcohol consumption should be limited to 1 to 2 drinks a day.
- A bladder cancer diet should always include foods enriched with antioxidants like acai berry, blueberry, raspberry etc, as these aid in the cancer treatment by fighting and preventing the formation of further free radicals, which are otherwise known to increase risks of cancer.
- Studies have revealed that vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and cauliflower can slow down the spreading of bladder cancer and hence, they should be made a part of this special diet.
Diet Tips for Bladder Cancer Patients
For those patients having trouble gaining back lost weight or keeping up with the Neutropenic bladder cancer diet, nutritional supplements are recommended.
- Sometimes, the patients may report of lost appetite and fatigue. During such times, it would be wise to stimulate the taste buds of the patients by making them bite into a citrus fruit such as a lemon, right before they eat.