Beet soup, as the name suggests, is a soup made by using beet or beet root as its main ingredient. The soup is popular in Eastern and Central European countries where it is also known as Borscht, borsch, or borsh. The soup is highly nutritious and makes a good diet food. Mostly reddish-purple in color, the soup is sweet in taste and can be eaten prior to meals and even as a complete meal.
NutritionFacts of Beet Soup
A cup of beet soup measures approximately 78 calories, and contains 8.26 grams of carbohydrates, 1.74 grams of fiber, 4 grams of fat and 3 grams of protein. The soup is rich in potassium content and also supplies the body with adequate calcium, folate, and magnesium. Antioxidant beta carotene is also found in the beet soup.
Beet Root Soup Benefits
- Effective blood circulation- The beet soup, when consumed regularly, helps in increased blood circulation in the human body.
- Prevents dementia- The soup of beet enhances the supply of blood to the brain and thus decreases the possibility of dementia and other brain-related diseases.
- Helps lowering blood pressure- The blood vessels expand with a regular intake of beet root soup which further helps in lowering blood pressure.
- Helps losing weight- Beet soup controls the appetite making the stomach feel full after its consumption.
Popular Beet Soup Recipe Varations
- Montebello beet soup- A rich and creamy beet soup, usually served topped with a spoonful of whipped cream.
- Saltibarsciai- It is a term used for traditional cold beet soup of Lithuania. This beet soup recipe makes use of chives, buttermilk, eggs, cream and beets. The soup pairs well with sandwiches, roasted pork and sausages and is served garnished with chopped dills .
- Sweet corn and roasted beet root soup- Rosy in color, this soup is a perfect combination of corn and beets. The dish is refreshing and helps in beating the heat of Indian summers. The corn, dipped in soy milk, gives a cheesy flavor to it; the coriander and thyme garnishing makes the soup more appealing and bright.
- Borscht- It is a delicious beet soup recipe which originated in Ukraine. The soup is prepared by combining beet with a variety of vegetables like onion, potato, pepper and tomato. It is served with curd and celery and pairs well with multi-grain and whole wheat bread.