Banana pudding is classical trifle style dessert made by repeating layers of banana, custard and biscuit. It is made all over the world in different ways. It is most popular in Southern part of U.S.
Banana pudding was first made in the 19th century. There is a mention of its recipe in a book by Mary Harris Frazer in 1903.
Ingredients and Preparation
Traditionally, banana, vanilla custard, vanilla wafers or ladyfinger biscuits are used. Fresh custard is made with egg yolks, sugar and milk. Meringue or whipped cream is used as topping.
Banana pudding is made in either a flat baking dish or a trifle bowl. Custard is poured at the bottom. A layer of sliced banana is put and then wafers. This is repeated and finally topped with meringue or whipped cream. It can either be refrigerated or baked till the meringue becomes brown on the top. It is left to rest for at least an hour before serving. The biscuits absorb the custard and attain a creamy texture.
Banana pudding is served as a dessert.
· Instant vanilla pudding can be used as a vegetarian alternative to custard. It is easier as well.
· Left over cakes or biscuits can be used instead of vanilla wafers or ladyfingers.
· Trifle is a dessert popularly made in France and Italy using custard, fruits and sponge cake.
· Tiramisu is an Italian cake dessert made using ladyfingers, mascarpone cheese and coffee syrup.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1/8th portion
Calories – 250 cal, Fat – 7 g, Protein – 6 g, Carbohydrate – 50 g
· Banana pudding is high in calorific value and fat. It should only be eaten as a party food and not on regular basis.
· Banana is a rich source of calcium and potassium. It helps to control blood pressure. It helps to provide instant energy to the body.
· Eggs used to make the custard are the best source of protein. It contains all the amino acids and is a complete protein.
· The calorific value of banana pudding can be used by using artificial or non calorie sweeteners like stevia or sucralose. Low fat milk should be used. Healthy sugar free fiber biscuits should be used instead of ladyfingers.
· National banana pudding festival is celebrated in Tennessee. All kinds of banana pudding are made during this festival.