A BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) is a type of sandwich which is currently one of the most popular sandwiches in the US and the UK.
In the year 1903, a recipe for a club sandwich included bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and a slice of turkey sandwiched between two slices of bread was first published in “Good Housekeeping Everyday Cook Book”. The BLT became popular after the Second World War when supermarkets were expanded at rapid pace and hence its ingredients were then available throughout the year.
Ingredients and Preparation
The BLT is primarily made up of following ingredients: bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and bread. The quantity and quality of these ingredients depend upon the personal preferences.
The bacon may be tender or well cooked, but the usage of high quality meat is always recommended by the chefs. Iceberg lettuce is commonly used because it adds crunchiness. The tomato is also one of the key ingredients of BLT. The beefsteak tomatos are usually recommended because they have more flesh and less seeds. The type of mayonnaise used also determines the flavor of the BLT. Any variety of bread, white or whole wheat, can be used. It can be served toasted or otherwise.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 Sandwich
Approximate values per serving (Calories - 550 cal, Fat – 34 g, Carbohydrates – 42.5 g, Protein – 16.2 g, Saturated fat – 7 g, Cholesterol – 60 mg, Sodium – 1094 mg, Sugars – 9.3 g, Dietary fiber – 4.6 g)
Nutritional Benefits of BLT
1. Low Cholesterol
2. Zero Trans fats
3. Good source of calcium and potassium
4. Contains Dietary fiber
1. BLT sandwich is a good source of calcium and potassium. Calcium is required for the healthy bones and teeth. Potassium is good for people suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure)
2. It contains dietary fiber which is required for better health and digestion
Disadvantage: The BLT sandwich contains i) high fat content, and ii) high sodium content
1. High sodium in BLT can create risk for the people already suffering from hypertension.
2. BLT is high in fats hence fatty and obese should avoid it.
1. Low-fat mayonnaise along with low salt bread and low fat bacon can be used.
2. Turkey bacon can be used in place of normal bacon.