Apple chutney is a kind of relish or dip belonging to Asian cuisine, particularly India and Pakistan. It can be either a smooth sauce made with apple puree or chunky like salsa made with diced apples. It is sweet and tangy and is often flavoured with different spices.
Ingredients and Preparation
Apple is the main ingredient of apple chutney. White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar along with sugar is used. Spices used to flavor the chutney are cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper. Onion and ginger are also used but only as flavouring and are removed towards the end of cooking.
Traditionally, All the ingredients are cooked in a saucepan and simmered for about half an hour. The chutney is cooled and preserved.
Variations with cranberries and raisins can also be made.
- Apple chutney is served with pork or ham dishes. It also goes well with grilled chicken.
- It can be served as a condiment along with snacks.
- It can be replace jams as a sandwich spread.
- Glazing of meats can be done with apple chutney.
- Apple chutney can be flavoured with other spices like bay leaves, mint or only cinnamon.
- Pear chutney, plum chutney, guava chutney are popular variations.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 tablespoon
Calories – 25 cal, Fat – 2 g, Sugar – 3
- Apple chutney is lower in sugar than Jams and marmalades. Sugar free variations are made for diabetics. They can be made using zero calorie sweeteners like sucralose, sorbitol, stevia, etc.
- Apple has numerous benefits. It contains a flavanoid named phloridzin which is only found in apples and helps to increase the bone density, prevents women from osteoporosis and strengthens the bone.
- It is beneficial for asthama and wheezing problems in children. It also has compounds which prevent brain cell damage and prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- Apples are known to have a low GI and are also a rich source of galacturonic acid which help to lower the blood glucose levels and is good for diabetics.
- Healthier way to make this chutney is by using diced apple than pureed apple. It helps to incorporate more fiber into the diet and has cholesterol lowering properties. It should be made as soon as the apple is diced as exposing to air causes browning.
- Apple chutney is being manufactured on a small scale commercially by Purple chef foods, Hardings fine foods
- Medda place makes many variants like spiced apple chutney, apple and cranberry chutney and date and apple chutney.