Ankylosing spondylitis diet program is basically formulated to treat the problem of ankylosing spondylitis (AS), which refers to arthritis of spine, in which the sufferer faces extreme inflammation and pain in the spine. The diet plan for ankylosing spondylitis emphasizes on altering the current diet plan and including some healthy and nutritious foods enriched with vital vitamins and minerals, so as to provide immense relief to the sufferer of this painful disease. The specific diet program for treating ankylosing spondylitis would also help in correcting the spine’s posture, hence improving the overall posture of the patient.
Features of Ankylosing Spondylitis Diet Program
The main highlights of the AS diet program are given here:
- Due to risk of being affected by osteoporosis, which may lead to fracture in bones, the AS diet program recommends to eat foods rich in vitamin D and calcium, which are the two vital minerals for maintaining adequate bone density. Tuna fish, sardines, milk, egg yolk, yogurt, spinach, white beans, almonds, peas, and broccoli are a few foods which are good sources of these two nutrients.
- Intake of yogurt in the diet should be increased, so that a proper balance is maintained among several microorganisms, hence improving the condition of the patient. Also, intestinal tract’s damage would be prevented with the aid of consuming yogurt regularly.
- The AS diet program recommends the intake of banana on regular basis, so as to maintain the health of gut and intestinal tract.
- Increase in the intake of fish, milk, meat, green vegetables, fruits, and eggs is advocated by the AS diet plan.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Diet Restrictions
A few food restrictions suggested by the AS diet plan are as follows:
- The impact of alcohol on the bones is very damaging, resulting into weakening of bones. Therefore the AS diet program restricts the consumption of alcohol, so as to increase the body’s absorption with respect to vital nutrients.
- The AS diet plan restricts the excessive consumption of potatoes, rice and bread.
- Foods enriched with excessive amount of zinc and copper salt are not recommended by the ankylosing spondylitis diet program.