Acid Reflux Diet
Acid reflux diet is designed for the people who suffer from heartburns or acid indigestion. Diet plays a major role in this condition as it is the foods that we eat which solely cause overabundance of stomach acid that reaches the throat.
Overview- Acid reflux
Acid indigestion is one of the most common symptoms of Gastro- esophageal reflux disease which is also known as GERD. The heartburn causes a burning pain in the chest behind the breast bone and seems to move up to the neck and throat. In such a condition, digested food and stomach acids reverse their normal route and go into the lower esophagus through a valve which opens and lets the digested food material. Generally, the valve prevents the stomach acids to flow back to esophagus. However, when the lower esophageal sphincter or the valve becomes weak, it is unable to stop the acids. The burning is thus caused due to the movement of acids. The heartburn can take place for as long as two hours and lying soon after eating makes the problem worse. Heartburn, pain in chest, bitter taste in the throat, voice hoarseness, sore throat are some of the symptoms of acid reflux disease.
Heartburn Diet- Foods To Eat
- Fruits- Fruits play a major role in relieving during heartburn. Apples can be consumed fresh, dried or in the juice form. Bananas are also recommended during heartburns. Foods rich in vitamin C like oranges should be avoided.
- Vegetables- Broccoli, cabbage, baked potato, carrots, beans and peas are some of the vegetables that are safe to consume while having heartburn.
- Meat and poultry- Egg whites, skinless chicken breast, extra lean ground beef and fish without any added fat can be consumed. However these products should be taken in moderation.
- Dairy products- While suffering from acid reflux disorder, the dairy products that are recommended are goat cheese, fat free cream cheese, milk and low fat soy cheese.
- Whole grains- Whole grains are highly recommended foods during heartburns. Oat meals, crackers, multigrain breads, corn bread, brown or white rice are safe to be consumed during this while.
- Water- Water should be consumed a lot during acid reflux disorder.
Acid Reflux Diet-Foods To Avoid
Tomatoes, onion, mashed potatoes, garlic, red peppers, carbonated drinks, alcohols; spicy foods should be avoided as they are the reason for increased acid reflux. Smoking is also one of the causes of acid indigestion and is strictly restricted while following acid reflux diet.
Diet Recommendations For Individuals Suffering From Acid Reflux
- Take small meals- Small portions of foods should be consumed as large portions lead to increased pressure on stomach and leads to reflux.
- Monitor total fat consumption- Meals high in fat lead to increased heartburns..
- Reduce weight- Increased weight is one of the causes of acid indigestion and thus to live a healthy life, weight should be controlled.
- Limit the chocolate intake- Methylxanthine present in chocolates causes the pressure reduction on LES due to which the stomach muscles relax and the acid oozes out.
- Avoid coffee- Coffee also increases acid reflux and thus must be avoided completely.
- Live a relaxed life- Stress is also a major contributor to acid reflux disease.