Abalone soup refers to the variety of soups that are prepared using abalone as one of the main ingredients. Abalone is also known as Bao Yu in China and is one of the delicacies of Asian cuisine. The other names for abalone are awabi in Japanese, loco in South America, mutton fish in Australia and paua in New Zealand. It is basically a type of sea snail that lives in a shell and is found in the depth of coastal waters. Abalone is a highly priced commodity which is available in both fresh and canned forms. It is usually eaten stir-fried, mixed with rice, or is cooked to make delicious abalone soup.
Abalone Soup Recipe: Method Of Preparation And Ingredients Used
The general abalone soup recipe makes use of ingredients such as finely sliced abalone, chicken stock, spring onions and seasoning. To prepare the soup, the stock is boiled along with abalone. Once consistent, the soup is flavored with seasoning and served warm with garnishing of spring onions.
Popular Abalone Soup Recipe
Abalone Soup with Cordyceps- It is a high protein but low-fat abalone soup, which is a part of Chinese Medicine since ancient times. The soup is considered healthy for the lungs and kidneys and is used as treatment for infertility in women. However, the soup is not recommended for those suffering from flu or any other infection.
Bao Yu Soup Benefits
- Increased stamina- Sea snail soup is rich in proteins but low in fats which help in improving stamina.
- Increases sperm count- Selenium, is found in abalone soup in large quantities and it works effectively in enhancing mood and sperm count.
- Raises metabolism- Paua soup provides the body with B12 vitamin that helps in speedy metabolism.
- Production of sexual hormones- The soup consisting abalone leads to increased production of sexual hormones due to the presence of magnesium and B vitamins.
- Prevents arthritis- The sea snail soup is considered effective in treatment of arthristis.
Tips for Cooking Loco Soup
Fresh abalone should be used for making the soup. It is usually available in the Asian markets live or frozen within the shell. It is available as ready to eat or in the canned and dried form. The freshest abalone stored on ice and still shelled should be chosen for the soup as it would not smell fishy. Once bought, it should be consumed within 24 hours. Meanwhile abalone should be served in the freezer covered with a moist towel. While preparing the soup, the first step should involve quick cooking of these sea shells. In the heated oil, abalone should be cooked for 30 seconds on both sides.
Mutton Fish Soup: Trivia
A can containing two abalone pieces costs up to $48.