Turmeric For Arthritis Cure
The crippling, nagging pain of arthritis is undoubtedly very difficult to manage. You go for different medications but of no immediate relief. Therefore, it is better to avoid the attack of arthritis pain and try for some natural remedy – turmeric, being one of them. Using turmeric for arthritis cure sounds surprising but it is true. Turmeric is culinary spice of Indian subcontinent, acknowledged for several health benefits in Ayurvedic medicine. Recent western researches have also proved its anti-inflammatory actions, which is effective in treating the underlying causes of arthritis. Read further to know more about turmeric and arthritis relief.
How Is Turmeric Useful Against Arthritis
Turmeric is rich in a chemical called curcumin that exhibits anti-inflammatory activities which is required for the treatment of arthritis. It scavenges nitric oxide and thereby inhibits COX-2, which is a pro-inflammatory substance. It also damages the superoxide produced in the body and thereby reduces the joint pain. In this way, use of turmeric addresses some of the major causes of inflammation and thus becomes effective against arthritis. It also reduces damage to bone and cartilage, common symptoms of arthritis.
Scientific Evidence That Supports Turmeric For Arthritis Cure
Studies on turmeric and arthritis have revealed following activities of curcumin, which support its arthritis remedial nature.
- Turmeric extract inhibits the activation of transcription factor NF-KB. It is a protein, which if activated in joints, leads to the production of inflammatory proteins. In this way, turmeric prevents the swelling of joints by inhibiting the production of inflammatory proteins.
- In one of the studies supported by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) and the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS), researchers found that curcumin blocks the pathway that affects the bone loss. Bone loss is one of the major symptoms especially found in osteoporosis.
How To Use Turmeric For Arthritis Treatment
Turmeric is more effective if used as a preventive measure instead of instant relief from joint pain. So, one should include the spice in preparing daily meals to avoid the risk of arthritis pain. Else, you can take the herb in following ways.
- Put half teaspoon of turmeric powder in half cup of warm water. Take it twice a day. Its regular intake brings relief in stiffness and swelling of the joints.
- For better absorption in the body, mix it with oil or black pepper or pineapple or ginger and take two teaspoons of turmeric daily.
- If arthritis pain strikes you, make a paste of turmeric in coconut oil and apply it on the affected area.
In this way, one can use turmeric for arthritis cure. However, clinical trials are still underway to fix the dose of the spice and use turmeric as herbal supplement. Nevertheless, there is no harm in including turmeric in daily diet through different preparations - it is an age-old spice having several health benefits.
Image Credit: aidanbrooksspices.blogspot.com