Top 10 Low Calorie Soups
Nothing comforts you better than a large bowl of your favourite soup! Essentially we think all soups are healthy, at least I used to, till I happened to pay close attention to the nutrition facts given along with my bowl. It was loaded with calories and fats! Healthy? I don’t think so. So began my search for low calorie soups, that are not only easy to prepare, good to taste, but also low in carbohydrates and fats. Given below are a list of hot and cold soups, take your pick.
Low Calorie Soups
1. Zucchini/Cilantro Soup: If you a desperately seeking a low calorie soup, this is the one for you! Giving only 46 calories per serving, this fresh and refreshing soup can be served at room temperature or cold and contains onions, zucchini, chicken or vegetable broth, fresh cilantro, lemon juice, and spices
2. Farmer's Market Melon Soup: This rustically charming soup is made with honeydew melon or cantaloupe, apricot nectar, roasted bell peppers, ginger, and non fat yogurt is a creamy soup that is served chilled. A perfect blend of, the sweetness of fruit, and the spiciness of pepper, and gives only 69 calories per serving.
3. Lemongrass Chicken Soup: Made out of lemongrass, chicken broth, chicken breast, and shitake mushrooms the soup is not only low in calories (67 calories per serving) but also rich in proteins. You can add an oriental touch by flavouring it with soy sauce.
4. Soupe Quartier Latin: This one is for saffron lovers. Made of carrots, turnips, onions, celery, scallions, pumpkin, and spiced with fresh herbs, saffron, and salt. This is a great cold soup and contains only 70 calories per serving.
5. Low Calorie Vegetable Soup: The best part about this soup is you can use any vegetables of your choice, celery, onions, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, cauliflower, and any other. Chop them, sauté it with garlic, add vegetable or chicken broth, spices and fresh herbs, and let it simmer. In your hand you would have a bowl of soup which gives you approximately 71 calories per serving.
6. Tomato Soup: Everyone loves freshly made tomato soup, and why not? It gives only74 calories per serving. If you like adding cream to it, replace it with fat free sour cream which does not alter the taste but brings down the calories.
7. Yellow Pepper Soup: Delightful both to taste and to look at, at 75 calories per serving this soup is a perfect addition to your health conscious diet.
8. Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup: Giving only 77 calories per serving, this soup combines the astringency of fennel with the goodness of chicken broth, grapefruit juice, potato, and fat free milk.
9. Mushroom Parsnip Soup: Loaded with the goodness of mushrooms, parsnip, and onions this soups is cooked in fat free beef broth. Rich in taste, it delivers around 80 calories per serving.
10. Lime Soup Yucatan: This tasty filling soup is a twist on the traditional tortilla soup that is loaded with calories. Made with butternut squash, tomato puree, corn tortillas, and a range of herbs and spices, this soup gives only 88 calories per serving.
Image credits: healthveda.com