Tips To Steam Mushrooms
One of the most versatile ingredients which adds to the taste and flavor of several dishes are mushrooms. Though there are many ways of cooking these edible fungi, their steamed form is considered to be the healthiest and quickest Softly steamed mushrooms can be used in salads, sandwiches, pastas and many other dishes. Here are some easy ways of steaming them. Hope you find these useful.
Use lemon juice:
- Just before you steam the mushrooms you need to place these in a bowl and add lemon juice and 1 tsp of water. Let this mixture sit for at least 5 minutes before you put it in the steamer basket.
- This needs a little bit of adjustment when you are cooking mushrooms in them. You need to ensure that the basket is at least 3 inches from the bottom of the pot.
Time for cooking:
- Mushrooms are by nature tender and do not need much time to cook. Put the lid on and steam the mushrooms for at least 3 minutes. In case you are using whole mushrooms you can steam these further for 2 minutes. If you find that they are not tender enough, you can put them back into the basket for further steaming.
- Once you notice that the mushrooms have reached your desired level of tenderness, you have to take them off the heat, so that their internal cooking stops. If you do not do this, they will continue to cook in the existing heat and will turn mushy.
Spread on a cookie sheet:
- This is the last part of steaming mushrooms which is often not followed. Once you have completely steamed the vegetable remember to spread these on a cookie sheet so that they dry completely. Your mushrooms are now ready to be used.
These tips are surely going to help you prepare your next mushroom dish - so, go ahead with some of the most delicious dishes and don't forget to write us back.