Salmonella-not just in raw poultry and meat but in your veggies too!!!
We often assume that the main source of Salmonella is raw meat, chicken or egg..but it has been recently discovered that this troublesome little thing can also be found in some unexpected places! Yes your veggies can also be contaminated by Salmonella. In fact the FDA has listed vegetables like potato, spinach, sprouts and other green leafy vegetables as one of the top 10 food that can harbor salmonella!!
Almost 13.000 cases where vegetables were the source of contamination has been reproted form 1990. A salmonella attack can result in mild to fatal infections that can take an ugly turn in "young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems." For adults like us it may lead to fever, diarrhea and nausea but sometimes they can get really serious by entering the bloodstream and resulting in severe illness!!! Here are some helpful tips that will help you prevent such a Salmonella attack at home from your veggies!!
- When buying your veggies ensure that the produce is not bruised or damaged
- When buying fresh cut vegetables, chose those that have been properly refrigerated
- When bringing your vegetables home from the stores ensure that the meat, seafood, poultry and vegetables in different packages
- Cut and peeled vegetables should be stored in the refrigerator at 40 degree Fahrenheit within two hours.
- Even if the produce is bagged, wash it before using.
- Discard the bruised part of vegetables and rotten vegetables.
- Always remove the outermost cover of green leafy vegetables
- Always wash your hands with warm water and soap before and after handling produce
- Don't wait till you finish peeling the vegetable to wash it! Wash it before peeling!
- You can also scrub vegetables like melon and cucumber but don't use soap or detergent on them.
- After washing dry them with a clean cloth or paper.
If you use the above then you should be able to protect yourselves from salmonella attacks from these villainous vegetables too!!