Lemon Mint Ricotta Gelato
- In a saucepan whisk together the half and half, milk, ricotta and sugar.
- Add the fresh mint leaves and bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring.
- When it just comes to a boil, remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon zest, cover the pan with the lid, and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Force the mixture through a fine sieve set over a bowl.
- Stir in the honey and vanilla.
- Chill the mixture until it's cold.
- Then pour it into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. For me this took about 25 minutes.
- Pack the gelato into a glass container(s) with lid and place it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
I just garnished each serving with an extra mint leaf and a curl of lemon zest. It was slightly minty with a hint of lemon and not overly sweet. It tasted like the filling in a cannoli. Oh yes, I think we could get used to this make-your-own ice cream routine!