Is It Safe To Eat Strawberry During Pregnancy?
Strawberries, the wonder fruits are excellent sources of nutrients like folate, manganese and vitamin C. These are highly beneficial in maintaining the optimal health. But, when it comes to the consumption of strawberries during pregnancy, it is very important to consider the safety factors in order to avoid complications including allergic reactions. To know more about facts linked with strawberries take a look at this blog and decide whether it is safe for you during pregnancy.
Health Benefits Of Strawberry Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Fiber content of strawberries is capable of giving a satiated feeling and so helps in maintaining proper weight when pregnant.
- Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, which is required for lowering blood pressure, ensuring a healthy immune system, and warding off the development of diseases like macular degeneration.
- They contain phytochemicals (natural plant chemicals) that may be good for the health of both the fetus as well as mom-to-be.
- Manganese in strawberries has anti-inflammatory property which not only helps to ﬁght the battle against free radicals and oxidative stress, but also lessens cellular inﬂammation during pregnancy.
- Manganese also plays a vital role in helping in bone building of the fetus and maintaining proper bone structure in expectant mothers.
- The potassium, vitamin K, and magnesium in strawberries are also important for maintaining bone health during pregnancy.
- Strawberries, contain numerous anti oxidants and detoxifiers, which can effectively help push away problems like gout and joint pain when pregnant.
- These berries are rich in iodine, which is very helpful for proper functioning of the brain and nervous system of the new-borns.
- The potassium and manganese content of strawberries are very effective in lowering blood pressure which may elevate during pregnancy.
- Some nutrients of the vitamin-B family in strawberries strengthen the cardiac muscles and help better functioning of the heart in pregnant women.
- Being rich sources of folate, strawberries ares known to protect the new-born from birth-defects
Risks Associated With Strawberry Consumption When Pregnant:
- Strawberries are more prone to pesticide and residue exposure and such strawberries may increase the risk of birth defects in new-borns.
- In some expecting mothers, strawberry consumption has caused allergic reactions with symptoms as follows:
- Skin rashes
- Abdominal cramps
- Breathing problems
- Swelling of lips, mouth and oral cavity in general.
- Nausea and vomiting
As delicious bundles of numerous nutrients together, strawberries form an ideal health pack during pregnancy. But watch out for the quantity and quality of strawberries consumed to be on a safer side when pregnant.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo