Is It Safe To Eat Pineapple During Pregnancy?
Pineapples, one of the most delicious, mouth-watering fruits can also be named as the ‘king of controversies’. It is reckoned to be unsafe to be eaten during pregnancy inspite of having numerous health benefits. The health hazards associated with it are significnt as well. Read through to get a glimpse into both the sides of the issue.
Nutritional Benefits Of Pineapple In Pregnancy:
- Pineapples are low in calories and high in dietary fiber and so may be helpful in proper bowel functioning of the moms-to-be.
- The proteolytic enzyme called bromelain in pineapple has anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting properties.
- Pineapples have proven effects in fighting against arthritis, indigestion and worm infestation. Fighting against these problems is an essential requirement for pregnant women.
- Being excellent sources of vitamin C, pineapples are capable of taking care of collagen synthesis, bone and teeth integrity maintenance in new-borns.
- They are good sources of vitamin A and antioxidants which are essential for pregnant women.
- Pineapples contain vitamins like thiamine, pyridoxine, folates and riboflavin and minerals like potassium, copper and manganese, which help in optimum development of your babies’
Risks Associated With Pineapple Consumption In Pregnancy:
- The minerals and vitamins content of pineapple are capable of curing sore throat and stomach infections and this may become highly risky in case of pregnant women, since there are more chances for abortion.
- The vitamin C content of pineapples may cause uterine contractions, which is surely unsafe for the fetus in the womb.
- The bromelain content of papayas may soften the cervix and cause diarrhea and uterine bleeding during pregnancy.
Hence have a word with your gynecologist before you opt for pineapples when pregnant because, what you eat matters a lot, both for your baby and you.
Image Credit: ifood.tv