Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts During Pregnancy?
Are you pregnant? Then you would have surely heard some conflicting advices about safety concerns related to consumption of the delicious and crunchy peanuts, for sure. But what makes these nutrient rich peanuts a doubful food?Their Aflatoxin content or their capacity to cause allergic reactions? Let us check the contradictory facts behind peanuts right now.
Peanuts are Safe During Pregnancy –The Nutritional benefits:
- Peanuts are enriched with much number of noteworthy nutrients, which are very helpful in maintaining an optimal health.
- These nuts are rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids and are very effective in lowering LDL cholesterol. This quality helps the pregnant women in maintaining a good lipid profile.
- Peanuts are excellent sources of dietary protein, which helps in growth and development of the fetus.
- High concentration of polyphenolic antioxidants in peanuts help in protecting the mom-to-be as well as the new-born against many degenerative diseases and infections. These antioxidants in peanuts are found to be enhanced when boiled.
- Vitamin E content of these peanuts are extremely helpful in preventing dermatological problems and increases integrity of cells of the mucus membrane in the new-born.
- Abundance of vitamins like B2, B12,B6, niacin and folate help in the brain development of your little-ones.
- Being rich sources of minerals like, zinc, copper, manganese, potassium, calcium and iron etc, peanuts help in maintaining optimal health of your babies’.
Peanuts are Unsafe During Pregnancy –The Allergic reactions:
- Peanuts may cause hypersensitive allergy in some cases, which are highly risky in pregnant women. Contradictorily, a new study has proved that peanuts cure peanut allergy!
- Aflatoxin content of some peanuts, may cause serious damage to health, since they are most powerful carcinogens.
- Allergic reactions of peanuts include hay fever, eczema, asthma etc. A mom-to-be, who is prone to these allergies are advised to avoid peanuts, since it may cause a serious damage to the baby in their fetus.
- Anaphylactic shock is a condition where the person affected may face wheezing and breathing problems and the end could be even fatal. This is also possible in peanut allergy.
Hence, its now your turn to decide about peanut consumption when pregnant. The best choice is to seek medical advice and then go in for them, if you are nutty about these yummy nuts!
Image Credit: ifood.tv