Is It Safe To Eat Parsley During Pregnancy?
Though considered as just a garnishing herb, parsley is capable of leading other herbs in terms of health beneﬁts, that too, in small quantities. But are these sweet smelling herbs safe to be consumed during pregnancy? Do abdominal cramps which is said to be caused by the parsley in pregnant women, harm the fetus? Scroll down for the answers and decide whether it is a safe herb .
Health Benefits Of Parsley In Pregnancy:
- Arsenal is the antioxidant compound in parsley, which includes luteolin and provides amazing health benefits. It boosts immunity and wards off infections during pregnancy.
- Vitamin C and A also contribute to the antioxidant property of parsley and act as free radical scavengers and fight against oxidative stress in mom-to-be.
- The anti-inflammatory property of parsley helps in preventing swelling and joint pains in expectant moms.
- Its iron content is capable of fighting against anemia in pregnancy.
- Folic acid in parsley helps in protecting your baby from neural tube defects.
- Vitamin K in parsley aids in providing strength to your bones when pregnant.
- It has excellent digestive properties and so can be used in fighting flatulence, bloating and other related problems in pregnant women.
- It is a good source of minerals like potassium, magnesium and calcium which aids in optimal growth and development of the fetus.
Risks Associated With Parsley Consumption When Pregnant:
- Parsley has been used as an abortifacient in older ages and is capable of inducing miscarriage or preterm labor since it is a strong muscle stimulant.
- Myristicin in parsley has hallucinogenic effects which may cause loss of balance, giddiness, or seizures when consumed beyond limits.
So consume parsley in limits or as required for garnishing and enjoy its health benefits when pregnant.
Image Credit: herbsanctuary.com