Is It Safe To Eat Mushroom During Pregnancy?
Mushrooms are available in many shapes, flavor and taste and contribute many nutrients during pregnancy. But, are they safe to eat during pregnancy? This is a question that requires an answer since there are some toxic varieties of mushrooms which are unsafe to eat when you are carrying your baby. Trail down to decide whether they can be deemed as a safe food while you are pregnant.
Benefits Of Eating Mushrooms During Pregnancy:
- Mushrooms are excellent source of B vitamins which are highly required during pregnancy.
- The riboflavin content of mushrooms, aid in energy production and in proper functioning of red blood cells in both expecting moms as well as their babies’.
- Niacin plays a vital role in digestion and helps in alleviating digestive problems in moms-to-be.
- Pantothenic acid helps in both nerve function and hormone production too.
- Pregnant women require higher dietary levels of iron to fight anemia and aid in growth of fetus and these needs can be compensated by mushrooms.
- Potassium, which functions in fluid balance and maintaining blood pressure levels, is abundant in mushrooms. They also help in maintaining proper nerve function.
- Mushrooms are an excellent source of zinc, which is important for normal fetal growth and development during pregnancy.
- The selenium content and antioxidants like ergothioneine present in mushroom helps in boosting your immune system and warding off illnesses during pregnancy.
Types Mushrooms To Be considered In Pregnancy
Complications Of Mushroom-Eating During Pregnancy:
- Some varieties of mushrooms have proven to be toxic and may cause varied reactions in moms-to-be from gastrointestinal effects to even death.
- They may cause hallucinogenic effects and even emotional disturbances and hence are better to be avoided when pregnant.
Moms-to-be, ensure the safety and variety of mushrooms before you eat them. Beware of the toxic ones!
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo