Is It Safe To Eat Fish During Pregnancy?
Fishes are considered to be one of the most nutritious foods. However, consuming them without reservation during pregnancy might be a bit risky due to their mercury content. If you are pregnant, then the list of fishes safe for you needs to be looked into. There are many old wives' tales associated with them too and you must be able to diffentiate between the myths and facts here. Read on for more information.
Nutritional Facts About Fish:
- Fish is considered to be one of the richest sources of protein and Iron. They are also a good source of omega-3-fatty acids which help in promoting brain development in your babies.
- Found in many types, fishes are considered the foods to be low in saturated fats and even fish oils are considered to play a great role in promoting good health effects.
- Many researchers suggest consumption of fish during pregnancy and breastfeeding period.
- Despite, some fishes are dangerous when consumed if pregnant because of its mercury content.
Have These fishes When Pregnant:
Fishes with low mercury content such as:
- Crab etc.
Avoid These Fishes When Pregnant:
Very large fishes with high mercury content such as:
- Tile fish
- King mackerel etc.
Tips On Eating Fishes When Pregnant:
- Check for the flesh/fillets of fish for thickness and freshness.
- Do not eat uncooked or partially-cooked fish. Particularly when microwaving ensure that the fish is cooked properly.
- When cooked check for the firmness and opaqueness of the fish.
- Make it sure with thermometer whether the temperature has reached 63 degrees Celsius since fishes get cooked completely at this temperature.
- Do not over eat fish because some portions of it may contain environmental pollutants and dioxins which are unsafe during pregnancy.
The wise choice of fishes and proper cooking methods make them a great source of nutrients during pregnancy.
Image credit: ifood.tv/photo