How to Freeze your Food? - 1
Freezing your food properly is a good idea as not only does freezing food properly help you retain the nutrients but also save money and prevent food wastage! Here is the first among a series of blogs that will guide you on how to freeze a variety of food from vegetables to meat to already cooked food. But before you do start freezing it is important to keep in mind the following set of guidelines:
Guidelines to freezing your food:-
- When freezing food make sure that you prevent air from coming in contact with the food, and moisture from escaping to avoid the food from drying out.
- Freeze food especially meat and such as soon as possible! This minimizes the the damage that the food will suffer.
- If foods has to be reheated when thawed, it would be better if it is slightly undercooked when frozen.
- Avoid freezing spices as the color and flavor of spices might change if frozen
- When using freezer bags, make sure that you have high quality freezer bags. Squeeze out as much air as possible from the bags before freezing.
- Don't over stuff the freezer. This bad for your food as well as the freezer.
- Label your frozen food with the name of the food as well as the date on which they frozen. This helps in knowing which food to take and when!
- Special care has to be taken with cooking frozen food.
Now that you have the basic concepts of freezing I shall go ahead and tell you how to freeze vegetables. Go ahead to my next blog on the How to freeze food series.