How to drink espresso in an italian coffee bar
How to drink an espresso in an Italian coffee bar
A step-by step guide.
1. Saunter into a Cafe and walk over to the smartly dressed lady at the cash counter.
2. Make eye contact, trot out your 'Buongiorno' and say " Un espresso" in your best Italian accent, with an extended, almost musical emphasis on the 'sso', like in ss- ssso. This takes some practice, but you will get the rhythm of it soon enough if, like me, you drink enough espressos in day.
3. You will then be expected to put your payment - usually about 85 cents - on a small tray next to the cash machine, as the lady prints out your receipt
4. If you are lucky, she might actually give you a smile and hold out two upturned palms for the payment. If you are feeling really Italian, hold her hand gently, linger for a brief moment and place the coins on her hand. If
5. Don't overdo it though. Take your change and receipt, say your 'Grazie' and belly up to the bar
6. If it is a popular cafe, the bar will be crowded and there will usually be a bit of jostling, so you need to master the technique of angling for a good position and attracting the Barista's attention. If you have had enough practice getting a drink in a New York City bar or London pub, you should do do ok.
7. Order your espresso ( don't forget the emphasis on the 'ss-sso'). DO NOT SIT DOWN
8. The Barista will pull the drink from one of those glorious looking coffee machines into a demitasse cup and push it towards you on a little saucer with a tiny spoon placed jauntily at an angle.
9. Lean sideways on the bar counter with an air of nonchalance as you've been doing this all your life, your sunglasses dangling from your shirt pocket, and drink your espresso shot in one gulp. Use the spoon to scoop out the delicious dregs from the bottom.
10. Then walk out into the sunshine, fuelled and caffeinated, ready to meet any challenge the world throws at you
Other stories about eating and drinking and cooking in Italy at
denniscurtains says :
I could never get use to the strong flavor of Espresso.
Posted on: 6 February 2010 - 12:23pm
Anonymous says :
Is it better to cleanse your pallet with a glass of water before you drink your espresso?
Posted on: 1 June 2012 - 1:42pm