How To Use Probiotics For Cancer Treatment
Cancer is one of the most dreaded diseases that requires multifaceted treatment. Apart form the mainstream treatments like intensive medication radiotherapy and chemotherapy, recently medical practitioners are using Probiotics of Cancer Treatment. Researchers are of the opinion tht probiotic therapy is one that can fight several types of cancer. Let us find out why this alternate form of medicine is gaining popularity these days.
How Probiotics Help Treat Cancer
Several studies have been carried out to authenticate the role of probiotics in cancer treatment. Primarily, probiotics intensify the immune system and improve the healthy microbial count of intestine which have been depleted due to unhealthy diet, lifestyle factors, and antibiotic use. Probiotics actively thrive in the gut producing short chain fatty acids that create an acidic environment, which in turn promotes multiplication of good bacteria and destruction of pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria.
The beneficial bacteria play a vital role in cancer prevention and management as they slow down the growth of bacteria that convert pro-carcinogens into carcinogens (cancer causing chemicals). The secondary line of action is stimulation of mucosal INF-gamma secretion that boosts immunity and regulates apoptosis, which is the genetically programmed process that causes cell death. The advantage of probiotic instigated apoptosis is that healthy cells are not destroyed and the risk of cancer comes down drastically.
Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus has been successfully administered to prevent or slow the cellular mutations that result in colon cancer. Lactobacillus helveticus supplemented as probiotic milk was found to delay the growth of breast tumor. Probiotics not only help in cancer cure but are also beneficial in significantly reduce gastrointestinal problems like incidence of diarrhea and the need for anti-diarrheal medication that are associated with radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Administration of Lactobacillus johnsonii to colorectal cancer who has undergone surgery altered the colon microflora, decreased the amount of pathogenic bacteria, elicited local immunity, and reduce infections.
How To Use Probiotics To Treat Cancer
- Probiotic therapy and how quickly it works is dependent on dose and strain of microbe used.
- A minimum of 5 to 10 million live microorganisms belonging to 2 to 3 strains are introduced in the human body to experience maximum therapeutic benefits.
- Probiotics work only if active cultures are present in them, thus the food labels must be referred to indentify the microbe present and expiration date of the product.
- Probiotics should be taken on a regular basis for maintenance of a healthy digestive system.
- Probiotics can be consumed in daily diet in the form of diary products like acidophilus milk, kefir, cultured milk, cultured buttermilk, and yogurt.
- Probiotics can also be added to daily diet by incorporating soy, rice or coconut milk with live microbes, pickled vegetables (Raw kimchi, sauerkraut or pickled beets, carrots or other vegetables), probiotic juices, hummus, tempeh, natto, formulated health bars, miso, cereals, and certain probiotic salad dressings.
- Probiotics are also available as a wide variety of dietary supplements in capsule, tablets or liquid forms for easy use.
- Prebiotics when consumed along with probiotics boost their efficacy.
Best Probiotics for Cancer Treatment
Eubacterium aerofaciens, Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, L. bulgaricus, L. helveticus, L. johnsonii, Streptococcus thermophilus, and bifidobacterium bifidum are some strains that have cancer treatin potential. Some of the commercial products that can be consumed to experience the benefits are Acidophilus milk, Nutrition now PB8 Acidophilus, Probiotic complex quantum, Probiotic yoghurt, ThreeLac, Choice Super 8 High Potency Probiotic, Advanced Adult Probiotic, Yakult, Align, Activia yogurt, Yoplait YoPlus, Stonyfield yogurt, Pearl, Dong Quai, Coco Biotic, Goodbelly splash, Goodbelly probiotic fruit drink, Mutaflor, Actimel, etc.
Things to Remember while Using Probiotic Therapy
Probiotic foods can be administered in any age group and is extremely safe. However, people who have compromised immunity should not be given probiotics as it increases the risk of infection.
There are several natural cures for cancer that are being used these days, read more about them in our article.
Image Credits: sitik.wordpress.com