How To Soak Raw Nuts And Their Uses
To increase the shelf life and the flavor of nuts, one can soak raw nuts. Raw nuts which are soaked prior to consumption are more beneficial for our health. Raw nuts comprise of high quantities of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. These inhibitors provide resistance to the nuts to keep them from sprouting prematurely. Useful for the nuts though, these enzymes can strain our digestive system at times. The soaked raw nuts helps the body to absorb nutrients well and also makes the nut easy to digest. The enzyme activity also increases which makes the nut more vital.
Also, if you soak raw nuts, you will find the taste of the nuts better than those not soaked.This happens because after soaking, the nut frees itself from dust particles and other residues, which makes it more rich taste wise. Soaking raw nuts also makes it easier to use them in different recipes.
One should soak raw nuts only after removing their shells. The water in which the nuts contain enzyme inhibitors which are acidic and thus this water should not be used for any type of consumption and should be discarded right away.
The soaking time for every nut is different. The soaking time depends upon the density of the nut. However, one can soak raw nuts at the room temperature for 8-12 hours.
To soak raw nuts you need a glass or a steel bowl and water. First rinse the nuts with water so as to make them free from any impurities. Then put these rinsed nuts into a glass or a steel bowl. Fill the bowl with water sufficient to cover the nuts. Cover the bowl with a cloth towel. Covering the bowl tightly with a lid can spoil the nuts. Change the water after every four- five hours.
Uses of soaked raw nuts
- Soaked raw nuts like almond are very good to eat and act as a brain tonic which help in enhancing the memory.
- Soaked almonds can be grind and made into a paste. This paste can be combined with milk and used as a face scrub
- Soaked raw nuts can be added to hot milk to make it taste better.
- You can also use these soaked nuts in various recipes. Cashew nuts can be made into a paste and can be used for making sauces for various recipes.
- If your child is not fond of nuts, soak them and grind them into a paste. Spread it on a piece of cake or bread slice for him.
So, now onwards soak raw nuts and enjoy them by eating raw or by adding them to different dishes.
Image credit- rawmazing.com