Tips To Shred Meat
Shredded meat has many uses and is one of the easiest way to store meat for use later. Whether it is beef, chicken, pork, or any kind of poultry, the meat when shredded can be used in sandwiches, soups, stews, stir-fries etc. Read on for detailed steps on shredding meat...
Steps to Shred Meat
- Meat has to be cooked thoroughly prior to shredding. Raw meat cannot be shredded well. The pieces would clump together. Cook meat by baking, boiling, steaming, microwaving, smoking, braising, grilling, sautéing, etc. Choose cooking method based on recipe the shredded meat would be used for.
- Once cooked and softened, let meat cool to room temperature. Hot meat if shredded might lose its moisture and dry out.
- Meat can be shredded in a separate bowl or in the pot; it has been cooked along with the braising liquid.
- The best tools to shred cooked meat are two forks. Use the forks to gently pull meat away from the bone. Hold the meat steady with one fork and gently tear meat apart with the other. Repeat until all meat has been separated and shredded into smaller pieces. It is easier to pull meat against grain.
- Shredded meat can be served immediately if desired. Alternately, store in zip-lock bags in the freezer. They can also be cooked again for tacos, sandwiches etc.
Watch the video for more information on how to shred meat:
If the cut of meat is of the larger variety, blender with a paddle attachment can be used to shred meat. Learn to shred meat and enjoy the many recipes that can be made with it.
Video credit: youtube.com/