How To Shred Apple
Hard fruits like apples are often shredded and added to baking recipes like cakes, muffins, etc. Shredding apple is not a difficult task and if you learn how to do it at home, you can enjoy a variety of recipes using shredded apples. Apples can be shredded using a manual grater or even a food processor or blender with a shredder attachment. Read on for steps to make sure that you do not make a mistake …
Steps to Shred Apple with Manual Grater
- Buy fresh apples from the market. Make sure that the skin is intact and that there are no soft spots.
- Wash apples very well under cool water and pat dry.
- If using a standalone grater, just place it on the plate or on the cutting board. In the case of handheld graters, place the outer edge on a plate and hold the other edge at about 45-degree angle, raised above the plate.
- Hold the apple with your dominant hand from the sides and run it down the metal rivets of the grater, repeatedly to pile up shredded apple beneath the grater.
- Transfer these into a bowl and sprinkle with little lemon juice to prevent discoloration due to oxidation.
- Repeat until the core begins visible. Now turn sides and begin to grate from the opposite surface. Discard seeds and core when the entire apple has been shredded.
- Repeat grating all the apples.
- Use shredding apples immediately in recipes or store in zip-lock bags in the freezer.
If desired, apple can be peeled, cored, and then grated.
Steps to Shred Apple in Blender/ Food Processor
- Wash and dry fresh apples.
- Peel apples and core them.
- Cut them into quarters and transfer into blender or food processor.
- Process to get apple shreds.
Shredding apples is easy and freshly shredded apples make a healthy snack for toddlers.