How to ripen avocados? – Ripping Ripeness for a tasty treat
You are warming up to the idea of making guacamole, with a basket of avocados your friend had just dropped by (her garden-pick!). And you can't wait till they ripen, as they seem to be taking their own sweet time.. How to ripen avocados, catalyzing the natural process?
Though like most fruits avocados mature gradually when kept at room temperature, there are some techniques to hasten the process.
Ripened Avocados are soft in texture, with a greenish-brown skin color.
How to ripen avocados without much of a hassle?
• You could keep the dry, hard fruits in a brown bag for ripening. In case you don’t have brown bags to spare, you could wrap the avocados in newspaper. This method will make ripen the avocado in 3-4 days.
• If you want to hasten the process of ripening real quick, then in your brown bag of avocados, add a ripe banana, apple or tomato which naturally tend to release ethylene gas- a catalyst in the ripening process and that of the avocados as well.
• ‘Flour-Sack’ them: If you have a sack or a bag of flour, you could bury the avocados in the flour bag or sack. This is a time-tested technique of ripening any kind of fruits.
• The windowsill placement: Placing your avocados on the window sill helps to ripen your fruits in two days time. This is our ‘quick-quip’ for quick ripening of avocados.
• The Microwave treatment : If you want your avocados ripening to be almost instantaneous at the turn of the hour, you could give the fruits the microwave treatment.
1. Prick your avocado all over with a fork.
2. Lay a paper-towel on the microwave tray and place the avocados on it.
3. Let your oven be at medium heat, and cook your avocados for 30 seconds.
4. Check for softness of the avocado. If the fruit is still hard, cook for another 30 seconds. As mentioned, ripened avocados will be soft in texture. One important factor to keep in mind, while microwave ripening, is that the taste and flavor of the fruits will be different from what is attained through the natural process. So, the microwave option should be used only if there is no other alternative.
Well, you can now don your cooking hat without much ado on how to ripen avocados and save all your energy for dishing out a ‘gourmet’s guacamole’.
Photo Courtesy : Google