How To Puree Onion
Onion puree is a necessary addition in several Asian and Indian gravies. They can also be used in dips, soups, stews, etc. Onions have an intense, gaseous, flavor and hence they puree better when cooked though some recipes demand raw onion puree. Let us see how to puree onions, both raw and cooked…
Principle behind Onion Puree
Onions have a pungent taste and this pungency can be reduced to an extent by first boiling or cooking the onions. Onions on being cooked become softer and sweeter and can be easily pureed.
Steps to Puree Onion
- Select good onions with dry flaky skin and no soft spots.
- Peel the onions and wash them in cool water.
- Cut the onions lengthwise into two halves and remove the base of the stems. Chop onion into chunks.
- For pureeing raw onions, directly put these pieces in a blender container and process to a smooth puree.
For pureeing cooked onions, cooking method:
- Boiling - Put the onion pieces in a saucepan containing water and let cook for about 7 to 8 minutes until they become translucent.
- Roasting - Alternately, roast them in a spoonful of any cooking oil.
- Now, blend this into a smooth paste.
- The consistency can be adjusted by adding water.
Watch the video for more information on the same:
Onion puree should be made fresh for recipes. The puree does not taste good if stored for long. Learn how to make onion puree at home instantly with the steps mentioned above.
Image credit: cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/
Video credit: youtube.com/