How To Make A Watermelon Fruit Basket?
For making a fruit basket with watermelon, you need the following things:
• For the fruit filling:
o Watermelon – 1
o A variety of other fruits - like, Cantaloupe, Honeydew melon, Peaches, Grapes, Strawberries, Plums, Oranges, etc.
• For Garnishing:
o Orange Slices
o Lime wedges
o Melon Balls
o Serrated Knife
o Melon Baller
• The process of making a fruit basket with watermelon starts with carving the watermelon. Take the knife and slice off a thin piece from the bottom of the watermelon. This will allow the watermelon basket to sit flat on the table without tumbling off.
• Make some holes at the base of the watermelon. Normally, when fruits are placed in the watermelon basket, the liquid oozed out of them collect at the basket’s base, thereby making it soggy. The holes, thus, act as a drainage mechanism, letting the collected liquid drain off.
• Score the watermelon horizontally, in half. Mark a strip of about 2 inches wide to make the handle of your basket.
• Now, take the serrated knife and cut around the watermelon lines. You can also give “V-cuts” to the handle and the melon borders to make it more attractive.
• Once the cutting is over, gently remove the cut sides from the body of the watermelon.
• Next, taking the melon baller, gently scoop off the fleshy edible parts of the watermelon. Once done, scrape out the sides of your basket with a large spoon, to make it neater.
• Now, mix the scooped watermelon balls with all other fruit fillings. Place the fruits in the basket.
• Garnish the basket (and the handle as well, if you like) with the lemon wedges and orange slices. Use toothpicks to fix the cherries, melon balls and grapes on the handle for garnishing.
Your watermelon fruit basket is ready. Place it on a plate and then serve it on the table to your guests. Follow these simple steps of making a fruit basket with watermelon and transform this simple fruit salad into an elegant fruit centerpiece.
Photo Courtesy: grandmalizzieshouse.com