How to keep your heart healthy and happy?
All of us want a healthy and happy heart because all of us like to believe that our heart will always guide us in the right direction. However, more often than not, we forget that in order to keep our heart healthy and happy, we need to take care of it. We need to take care of our heart because not only does this vital organ take care of our bodily functions but is also responsible for emanating our inner voice, which we all like to listen to. In the modern life, where amenities are aplenty but time is scarce, we have forgotten to keep our heart healthy and happy.
You think that’s not true? Think again! Because if that wouldn’t have been the case, the number of heart-disease patients wouldn’t have been on the rise in our world.
Since we do not want anything happening to your dear heart (and to ours as well!!), we bring you a list of ten foods that absolutely love your heart!!! So, let us embark on this love story with a twist and see what you should feed your mouth, errr, your heart next time you sit to eat.
1) Salmon: Salmon or any other oily fish like tuna, sardines or herring are recommended at least twice a week because the omega-3 fatty found in these fishes protects your heart by reducing inflammation and possibility of blood clot formation.
2) Olive Oil: Instead of cooking your food in the regular fat or mustard oil, used just a dash of olive oil, which will lower the levels of LDL Cholesterol in your blood and reduce the risk of heart disease.
3) Oats: Beta glucan is an excellent soluble fiber that not only reduces cholesterol but also fine-tunes your digestive system. Oats are an excellent source of this fiber. Therefore, it is recommended that you include oatmeal into your daily breakfast menu.
4) Apples: The age-old proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” has again proven to be absolutely right. A phytochemical called quercetin , which is found in apples, reduces inflammation of heart and also prevents formation of blood clots. Apples would make for an ideal snack for you if you want to keep your heart healthy and happy.
5) Almonds: Almonds are a storehouse of good things like healthy oils, Vitamin E as well as other substances that check the cholesterol levels in your blood. Besides, almonds are also a good source of protein and fiber. You can eat almonds either as a snack or in a dish to help your heart stay healthy and happy.
6) Red Wine: Yes!!! It is actually true that red wine, with its powerful antioxidant called resveratrol, when taken in moderation, keeps your heart out of trouble. But make sure that you don’t go for more than 4-8 ounces of red wine per day. Greed is definitely not going to serve you any better here, so stick to the recommended quantity!!
7) Whole grains: Instead of going for refined flour, use whole grains in your diet, which will fill up your body with enough vitamins and fiber to keep your heart healthy and happy. You can use whole grain bread for sandwiches, to serve with a pot roast (which by the way should be eaten in moderation!!) or with your pasta salad.
8) Green Leafy vegetables: Green vegetables, specially those with leaves, are suppliers of folate, which is good for better memory retention as age advances. So next time you make a trip to the supermarket, don’t forget to pick your quota of the greens.
9) Tomato: The red juicy tomatoes are not only good to look at or eat, but are also packed with vitamins and lycopene, which has been medically proven to reduce the risk of heart disease. Add tomatoes to whatever you are cooking or you can even grab a tomato and gobble it up raw.
10) Soy: A proven factor in prevention of heart attacks, soy is an absolutely marvelous substitute you can have for red meat in your diet. Use soy in your salads or drink soy milk, just make sure that soy is a part of your daily diet from now on.
Limit your total fat intake to less than 30% of total calorie intake per day; Reduce your sodium intake to no more than 3000 milligrams per day; avoid chemically-treated food and beverages.
Follow these steps and eat the recommended food items and you and your heart will stay healthy and happy for as long as you want it to.