How To Cut Cauliflower
If you just bought a cauliflower from the market and are wondering how to cut cauliflower, fear not, read on to learn different ways to do it. Cauliflower has a thick head of small florets and cutting cauliflower invariably involves separating the florets. There are 3 different ways to achieve this and you can decide which is most convenient for you and go ahead with your cooking.
Basic Method of Cutting Cauliflower - 1st Method
- Cut away all the leaves near the stem.
- Wash head of cauliflower very well.
- Place cauliflower on cutting board and using a sharp knife trim the stem to separate the head.
- Now, cut each stalk to separate larger groups of florets.
- Based on the size of florets required for the recipe, slit the florets through center to get longer pieces or chop off the stem completely for smaller pieces.
Cut Cauliflower like a Professional - 2nd Method
- Wash head of cauliflower.
- Slice off the stem.
- Place cauliflower head upright on cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut head into two half.
- Now cut the halves into quarters.
- The central stem holds the florets.
- Release the florets by cutting the stem or stalk connecting each floret.
- Cut large florets into bite sized florets by quartering them or alternately, cutting away the smaller ones growing along the sides.
How Cauliflower is cut in Restaurants – 3rd Method
- Place cauliflower side down on the cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cauliflower into two halves slitting the stalk and head lengthwise.
- Take one half of cauliflower and cut the base of florets.
- This would release the florets.
- Continue with the other half until all florets are released.
- Discard the leaves and stem.
- Cut florets into desired size.
- Wash florets well prior to cooking.
Hope these tips on how to cut cauliflower helps you in your culinary endeavors!