How To Cook Whole Fish
Fish can be cooked whole in a number of ways. Fish tastes really good when cooked on the bone. Since cut fish costs more, cooking them whole works out to be economical too. Let us see some of the best ways to cook a fish whole.
Steps to Prepare Whole Fish for Cooking
- Clean fish well. Remove guts, gills, and fins.
- Sprinkle sea salt on the insides and outside of the fish.
- Place desired seasonings like dill, fennel, thyme, basil, rosemary, and slices of lemon inside fish cavity.
- Tie fish securely with butcher string in three or four places.
- Make cuts on the fish in a few places to facilitate even cooking of fish.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of fish.
Methods to Cook Whole Fish
- Baking – Place fish in oven and cook at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes. Whole fish is cooked and done when it flakes easily. Let cool on rack prior to serving.
- Frying – Place fish in a frying pan containing cooking oil. Let fish fry to golden brown. Turn over and fry the other side too. Serve with onions, lemons and a choice dip.
- Grilling – Place on heat and grill both sides for 20 minutes each. Fish is done when it flakes and becomes opaque.
- Roasting – Put the fish in a pan half filled with oil. Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer fish onto kitchen towels once done.
Cooking whole fish is easy. Serve cooked whole fish warm once done.