How To Cook Onion On A Gas Grill
Onions cook nicely on a gas grill. They can be grilled whole or even chopped up. Once cooked, onions can be added as garnish, served with grilled seafood, chicken, and even used for flavoring steaks. The cooking process is very easy; nevertheless, let us walk you through it so that they come out really tasty.
Steps to Cook Onion on a Gas Grill
- Make sure the onions to be grilled do not have any soft areas or rotten skin on them. Peel off the flaky skin and wash well. Dry onions using kitchen towels.
- Cut off the stem of onions.
- Place onion on cutting board, cut side down. Using a sharp knife cut the onion from top to bottom without cutting the base and then once again to get four wedges of onion.
- Place onion on an aluminum foil piece large enough to cover the entire onion.
- Put some butter between onion wedges and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap onions in foil and make several holes in the foil using a fork.
- Clean and preheat grill to medium temperature.
- Place onion packets in the gas grill and let cook for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Open the packets after this time to check if they are done.
- Onions are ready when the edges have turned brown.
- Add more seasoning if desired and serve as side dish or use as garnish.
Alternately, the onions can be sliced horizontally, seasoned, and then cooked on the gas grill.
Tips to Cook Onion on a Gas Grill
- Onions taste awesome when basted with mustard and garlic powder.
- Browned onions have an exotic taste and complement the taste of steaks very well.
- Gas grill is convenient to cook onions while outdoors since these can be cooked along with other vegetables, meat, or even fish.
Cook onion on a gas grill and enjoy the sweet taste of this otherwise strong and sharp tasting ingredient.